These days, people are ahead of the curve if they remember to eat three meals throughout the day, never mind keeping up with the latest news in nutrition. But can you really afford to work really hard and play really hard if you are not giving your body what it needs? We say probably not.
Here are 5 simple and easy changes that you can make today that will positively affect the way you feel:
- Pack a lunch. If we are being honest, it only takes about 10 minutes to pack a great lunch with everything you need. You have the option to select leftovers from dinner, throw together a couple of veggie-filled wraps, or whip up a delicious salad. (sal-ad: the combination of scrumptious veggies tossed with leaves and yummy dressing.) 10 minutes in the evening, after your dinner, and you will be fully prepped for the next day!
- Breathe deeply. Amidst the chaos of your day, it can be difficult to remember to stay calm. Whether or not you are given to hysterics, (and we really hope that you are not), deep breaths keep your blood pressure under control, your mind more clear, and your body more relaxed.
- Fit in a lunch hour workout. Take 20 or 30 minutes of your lunch hour to enjoy a brisk walk, or pound some pavement. Getting away from your desk and out into the open air is good for both body and soul. This will rev you up for the remainder of your day, as well as curb the need for afternoon snacking.
- More water, less coffee. This can sound painful, but really, it isn’t so bad. Subbing in just one 16oz glass of water, when you would normally reach for another cup of coffee or a soda, will keep you hydrated and feeling your best. Fun fact: optimal hydration is half of your body weight (in lbs) in ounces of water. (For a 140lb person, 70oz of water daily is optimal.)
- Add fruit as a treat! Many of us feel that we work hard, and therefore deserve 2 slices of cake. While cake is tasty, it isn’t the greatest choice to be making on a regular basis. (Or any refined sugar, for that matter.) Too much sugar slows us down, and makes our bodies tired. Instead, keep a stash of fruit near your desk that you can grab whenever you like. This not only cures the sweet craving, but it’s fantastic for your health!
Share your favorite health tips with us on Twitter!